
the Murphy Trading House
[also known as the Tauzin-Wells House, the Buard-Wells House,
the House with the Flags, the House of the crazy lawn, etc...]
historic natchitoches, la
"The Murphy Trading House" is a working title. We would love to name it after the family that built it, but we're not really sure who that is. Most in the area call it the Old Wells Home, and that's just fine.
​
Edward Murphy was the earliest owner we can determine. We do know that he was living there in 1786 and owned it until his death in 1808. There are indications that he may have purchased the property from Françoise Derbanne, [or his children], but we haven't found the documentation to prove it yet. Murphy is also a colorful character in history, having built a small trading empire in the region with the firm of Barr, Davenport, Murphy & Smith. It could have worse names. If we find owners further back in the chain, we may change the name. Again.
​
Why is the home interesting?
-
It's old. Certainly the oldest home in Natchitoches, LA, which is itself the oldest permanent settlement in the Louisiana Purchase. We have evidence of the home being here as far back as 1786, but we do know it's older than that.
-
It's a great example of Bousillage construction [post and beam construction with infill of clay mud, Spanish moss & animal hair]. The Wells family did a terrific job of restoring the bousillage [with the help of Max Turner & Marcy Frantom], and we're trying to expose and restore even more.
-
It was a Trading House. While it would be considered a
Plantation, as they did have slaves on site, and there was a
large planting operation of about 400 acres, [including a
cotton gin, outdoor kitchen, and even a racetrack], the
home was used more as a Trading House, bringing all of the
diverse people of the area together. Pam still finds
fragments of ancient pottery, bottles, and animal bones
every week!
Murphy, partner in the firm Barr, Davenport, Murphy & Smith, was a trader of deer hides & supplies, trading with Native Americans, and settlers along the El Camino Real from Natchitoches to Mexico, and down to New Orleans via the Red River. Edward Murphy used the home to store, trade and sell any number of items including animal pelts, china, and other supplies. French, English, Spanish, Native American, and African Americans all came here to trade their items, and buy items required to live in the area. Edward Murphy's succession decree of 1806 mentions 10,000 animal pelts in the attic at the time of his death.
-
Its history is still unfolding.
There are many plantation homes in the Cane River National Heritage Area, and we encourage you to visit them all [hit that Cane River Historic button at the top]. Owned by only a few families over the years, the history of those Plantations are generally known.
You'll often find us diving into Ancestry.com, the archives of the City of Natchitoches, the Natchitoches Genealogical & Historical Association, and the Cammie Henry Research Center to search for clues as to who built the home [or at least who sold it to Edward Murphy]!
We bought a mystery, and we're enjoying the hunt.
​​
- Curt & Pam Felch
